I love adding a sweet fruit to salads, it makes them fresh, tasty and flavousome, and not to mention, are another source of vitamins. Oranges are known for their high vitamin C content which is crucial for strong immunity, particularly when fighting colds and flus. They are high in vitamin B5, which helps to stimulate the immune response and are also rich in fiber, another benefit for the digestive system. Oranges contain the antioxidant hesperidin, further protecting the heart and cardiovascular system by helping to raise healthy HDL cholesterol and lowering LDL, the bad cholesterol. You can make this salad as a main meal or to share. It contains all of the macronutrients, proteins, carbs and healthy fats, keeping you fuller for longer.
Serves 2 Ingredients
350-400grams of chicken breast, sliced
1 cup of couscous
Juice of 2 oranges
1 tablespoon of orange zest
1 orange, peeled, sliced thinly and cut in half
4 cups of baby spinach leaves or mixed lettuce leaves, washed thoroughly and dry
1/2 purple onion, finely sliced
1 avocado, sliced lengthways
3 pieces of star anise
3/4 – 1 cup of mixed nuts
125g of halloumi, sliced thinly.
1 cup of pumpkin, chopped into 1-2 cm pieces
Olive oil for cooking
Hot water to cook couscous
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. Place pumpkin onto a greased baking tray and cook till
crispy. Remove from the oven to cool.
2. In a small saucepan, place the juice of the 2 oranges and the star anise and heat to
simmer but not boil.
3. Place the couscous into a small bowl and pour the orange juice and star anise over the
top, adding enough hot water to cover.
4. Add a dash of olive oil and mix through. Allow to stand until cooked. Use a fork to fluff the couscous and remove the star anise.
5. Heat a small frypan to medium heat and toast the nuts. Remove and do the same with the halloumi cheese, cooking until lightly golden.
6. Arrange the spinach onto a plate adding the remaining vegetables, avocado, halloumi, and couscous, and gently fold through.
7. Scatter the orange slices over the top.
8. Cook the chicken in a small fry pan. Arrange the chicken onto the plate.
9. Sprinkle the nuts over the top of the salad.